Saturday, October 15, 2011

Fall Gardening in South Texas

Fall is one of THE best seasons to plant your garden in South Texas. The cooler weather allows plants to develop a good root system and become established before spring and the stress of summer heat sets in. Plus I myself and Daisy and Herbie are alot more friskier out in the garden at this time of year.

For anyone who has tried to grow cilantro and had trouble - Fall is the best time to plant cilantro. You'll get alot more harvests out of it in the fall than in the summertime. It won't bolt and go to seed so quickly like it does in the summertime due to the extreme heat.

Plant now in order to reap the rewards and tastes.
Harvest from some of last fall's garden planting.
I always say, "Gardening is like fishing, you do it whenever you have the chance." I've been in and out away from home these last couple of weeks. Every time I've come home I've been met with another suprise garden area, my husband has planted.

As I child I was a picky eater. I liked corn on the cob and mashed
or baked potatoes but little else in the way of vegetables.
It wasn't until I got married and had my first garden
that I fell in love with fresh vegetables.

Lettuce grows in the fall and packs so much flavor.
We now have several types of zuccini squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, sweet pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, okra, and green beans planted. Everything is growing like gangbusters. Basil, lavender, chives, sage, thyme, rosemary, anise hyssop, lemon balm and other fragrant and culinary herbs add to the edible landscape.

We not only have an edible landscape for us. I love the new blooming butterfly hummingbird garden beds. Some beds got spruced up and replanted while others, having been neglected, are now a bright blooming area - makes me smile getting out of my car to see the newly planted bed up front and to walk through the back yard and discover what my husband has planted today.

No comments:

Post a Comment