Thursday, June 23, 2011

Nice Slow Steady Rainfall

That’s what we are finally getting - have had 1 ¾ inch total rain today. So soothing, peaceful and welcome.

Rain Check
A friend invited me to an event this week and I asked her to give me a rain check due to a conflict in my schedule. That coupled with the rain had me looking up what exactly is a rain check. First I found that rain check is two words instead of one. In looking up rain check, www.answers.com listed the following definition and explanation:

1. A ticket stub entitling the holder to admission to a future event if the scheduled event is canceled because of rain.

2. An assurance to a customer that an item on sale that is sold out or out of stock may be purchased later at the sale price.

3. A promise that an unaccepted offer will be renewed in the future: declined the invitation to dinner, but asked for a rain check.

Rain Check - BackgroundIt seems the term rain check came about in the 1880’s when baseball games were rained out and attendees were given rain checks to cover a future admission.

Rain, Rain, Come Today
Just this week I had changed the lyrics of Rain, Rain Go Away, Come Again Another Day to Rain, Rain, Come Today and posted on FB. It has been so long since we’ve had a rain here, that I cannot remember when the last time was.

I’d have to say my garden and I are truly thrilled and not willing to take a rain check on this wonderful rain! The soil will be much improved due to the flushing of all the built up salt from the lack of rain. I expect everything will be growing like gangbusters after this.

I’ve put out my glass pitcher to capture rainwater to use as a hair rinse. It’s amazing to me how cold rainwater stays when saved like this.

Nursery Rhyme
Here’s a new twist on an old favorite rhyme that fits the weather this evening:

It's raining, it's pouring,
I’m fixing to be snoring.
I laid down my head
when I went to bed
and I slept late in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment